Wednesday, December 22, 2010

back from the store

and I did get a small fruitcake and a small carton of egg nog....and a boston butt cut of pork roast and a package of smoked turkey drumsticks.....and now they have the dutch onions in a bottle....so my Christmas dinner can be pork roast with little red potatoes (called red-skinned potatoes around here?).....and creamed onions and new peas as the other veggies....all with gravy. And fruit cake and egg nog with dark rum after dinner....should that be Christmas Eve, or Christmas Day? The other holiday weekend dinner will be heated up turkey leg with mushroom cornbread stuffing, probably some leftover creamed onions, and broccoli in cheese sauce.....there will be leftovers from all this to last at least until next Wednesday, when I'll look at how to do a small amount of ham and black-eyed peas for New Year's....and we'll see what price they have on champagne by then.....my city utility bill for November was in the mail box when I got home.....looking at the electric usage and adding in the extra from the natural gas bill, would say the November deep freeze this year cost me a little over $100 in energy ....well maybe $75 over a "normal" November.....the sun is starting to come out, so I'll think about a walk around the park after lunch.....

2 comments:

  1. creamed onions: one bottle of dutch onions, one can of Pet milk, one tbs. flour, one tbs. olive oil, one tsp. chili powder.....make white sauce then add drained onions and chili powder, bake until it looks right....could put seasoned bread crumbs on top before baking..."southern style" uses hot sauce or chili instead of nutmeg or mace, from what I've been reading.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. the recipe on the jar of onions says to use 1/4 cup grated parmesan in the white sauce too....and it's making a thicker sauce than I did last time...just have to see how it all looks as I go along...

    ReplyDelete