Friday, August 31, 2012

The Baptist church ladies

Put on a spread to rival a reunion feast, very nice of them.....the ice tea was most welcome, because we had all been sweating during the burial service in the early afternoon sun.....there was an awning and chairs and some breeze.....and the soldiers played taps and folded the flag off the coffin and gave it to Charlotte....and words were spoken as is proper.....they opened the casket briefly at the end.....Carl had an expression on his face that reminded me of a face WB would make sometimes......I think I heard somebody say they had snuck a bottle of Rock n Rye into the casket for him.....and then folks wandered inside into some air conditioned rooms for the food and visiting.....Rusty and Jack were there....I hadn't seen Jack since 1963, I think.....and too many other relatives were there for me to list....later a brother of Aunt Doris was there who I don't think I'd met before.....so we ate and talked and more people arrived for the church service.....Charlotte played an introduction of moving piano music, and once again proper words were spoken, etc.....and then there was more greeting and visiting.....and the core group of cousins who are always present at such occasions wandered back out to the grave site, where the casket was now safely in the ground.....we told a few more tales and made various observations and eventually we headed back to our vehicles and R.I.P Carl Lucius Tingle.....

No comments:

Post a Comment